Thursday, May 2, 2019

A New York Morning

I headed back home while the way to work because I forgot to fill my portable pillcase and needed medicine. Medicine that absorbs my independence and spits out life in exchange. 

It's a thoughtless "choice" but one that is still belaboring, exhausting, and difficult to afford. But off I went on my tedious trek; or so I thought.


First, I met a pup on the way to the train. An enthusiastic boy named Aussie, who was a big fan of jumping, and whose human was not. A toddler behind us giggled at the concept of a dog, and Aussie jumped to the occasion. The toddler backed away into him mom, still giggling, scared a tad, but very enthused. Aussie's human coaxed him into sitting, and the toddler was presented with golden opportunity: the ability to give him pets. 

Retaining his brand, the tot giggled the whole time, and the majestic beast Aussie received the pure love of a toddler.


Next, a coffee shop gave me a replacement coffee cake for the one I'd forgotten a few days before, just on my word and my "honest face.". In exchange, I made them laugh; a currency I've found far more valuable in the midst of a long shift.


Finally at the train, I saw a man with a face dripping with agony and dread. I accidentally made eye contact, and in turn broke his trance. He smiled genuinely, and laughed, freed from his waking nightmare. 


It was the perfect gentle morning. A pep talk on the way to a tedious task. A smile that stuck, and spread to those around.

A soothing New York moment, a raincoat before the storm hits.  A reminder that the daily choice is one that's worth it. That going out of my way for something I didn't choose can amount to a worthwhile adventure. 

Enjoy the day, my loves. 


No comments :

Post a Comment